Sessions and Program Information
The SGA Leadership Conference is offered twice a year (Spring and Fall) by Horizons Consulting with the assistance of the Outdoor Learning Center at Horizons in Harrisonburg VA . During the session, student will be encouraged to come up with innovative ideas to make the Job Corps program more engaging.
In the future, we are looking forward to again connecting face-to-face, stretching our legs, and getting back to growing and learning together. With that, our Fall 2023 conference dates are listed here. Registration is open and our customer service team is happy to assist.
- Tuesday, October 31st - Friday, November 3rd
- Tuesday, November 7th - Friday, November 10th
Centers should plan to arrive to Camp Horizons at 3586 Horizons Way Harrisonburg VA 22802.
For all sessions listed above, arrival is required Tuesday by Noon, with Program kick-off is at 1 pm. Meals will begin with dinner on Tuesday for all centers.
The leadership program is specifically designed for student leaders in Job Corps centers. Each session is geared toward providing the tools and techniques necessary for program participants (students and staff) to be successful at creating a positive impact on their Job Corps centers and the students they represent. The program focuses on the following:
- Building your SGA team and strengthening their dynamics
- Exploring leadership components in workgroup settings
- Providing a "Challenge by Choice" approach that sets the level of challenge
- Experiencing low and high ropes course programs
- Supporting student leaders in designing action plans for their respective centers
- Creating a safe and positive environment for learning and networking
- Transforming student leaders into ambassadors of change (impact OBS, OMS, and other center outcomes)
- Building presentation skills to deliver a powerful message on center and beyond